Friday, April 1, 2016

Symphonic Thinking

One of the reasons for this blog is that there are occasions when I come across something that I can't quite make sense of.  The way that I make sense of something, generally, is through writing.  I can't say that I always succeed, but I enjoy the challenge of piecing something together and seeing how it fits into my fabric of thought.  I especially like things that are uncommon and offbeat, which I guess is why the don't make sense, right?  This is probably for another post at another time, but I think that one of the most important things that we can do as professionals is disrupt our own thinking.  Whether it is via conversation with one another or by challenging yourself, personal growth is generally started when you are disrupted in thought.

I had an occasion for that to happen to me just a few days ago when I read an article about something called symphonic thinking.  Here is the link:

How to Become a Great Leader

There is more to symphonic thinking than what is just listed in that particular post, but I thought it was illustrative of how it can be connected to leadership.  I have to admit that I never considered the parallels between writing a symphony and managing a school, but after reading it some I can see the connection.  There are so many moving parts in our building on any given day, and how we get them all to fit together to create what we consider to be "Cornerstone" is a relatively remarkable achievement (just consider our pick up and drop off line!).  I certainly take no credit in making it happen.  That mesh of activity was here before I got here, and will be here long after I leave.  However, what was really  intriguing was how we get students (or other adults for that matter) to think in ways that will enable it all to happen. 

If I could try to boil it down some, what I think symphonic thinking is asking students (and leaders) to do is to connect seemingly disparate ideas and concepts.  This is certainly something that I am challenged with each and every day.  Just one example that crosses my mind is the constant challenge of making sure that stakeholders are involved with the decisions here at school.  I agree without hesitation that it is important, but it poses some challenges.  For example, are all stakeholders qualified to weigh in on the decisions?  Certainly some are, but there are others that enter into decision making situations with an agenda or ulterior motives.  This challenge exists everywhere and in every school.  I can imagine most directors or principals face a similar issue, which is trying to find that balance between input and disruption.  How do you manage to conduct all the various stakeholders in a school so they mesh well together?  It is can be even more pronounced in a charter school where so many parents, board members and other community members work together closely.

However, to get back to the point, is how do we get students to develop that leadership aptitude via the curriculum or educational experiences at our school?  I am not sure of the answer other than to make sure we are offering things that really challenge them to think deeply about.  I suspect some of the answer is in the questions we ask.  Are we asking questions that really get them to wonder?  Do we force them to wonder?  Do we engage in a back and forth which cause them to question their own positions?  Do we really teach them to make arguments convincingly?

I have to admit that I do not know that much about Dave Pink's thought or his book, but I found the idea of symphonic thinking to be a real fruitful thing to ponder.  I also wonder how you all as teachers get students to integrate two otherwise disparate ideas?  Or do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment